Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Before and After: The Dressing Table

I have a small room off the master bedroom that could really only be converted into a nursery or an awesome closet. Due to the nature of my lifestyle I decided to go with: The Closet. After about a year of getting ready at a makeshift vanity (fabric draped ironing board and bar stool) I decided it was time to begin Operation: Closet Overload! So I found this little beauty at a local thrift store and after wheeling and dealing with a toothless woman I got the gem for $35!
After a little construction (disassembling the hutch) and a little sand/paint job the dressing table started to come to life. I was upside down in Mr. 2WM's (2 Wheel Motion - Bikeshop) 2nd floor garage for about a week before I had the piece looking better.
I loved the charm of the original handles, they have the same ornate look that the detail in the feet and edges of table. So I decided to keep those handles and just hit them with a couple coats of Rust-Oleum Hammered finish in a coppery-bronze color. I also found a couple mirrors and a nice dish at the thrift store that will be used for jewelry, hair products etc.. Those also got hit with the Rust-Oleum for a matchy-matchy look :-)

I loved that shimmery paint color so much I decided to give the top part of the table a glossy coat of a similar paint to give it a little snazz. And look how the little darling turned out:
 I am so excited to fill the drawers with all sorts of girlie products! Now, Little Miss Muffet just needs her tuffet, or a stool of some sort. ...And the rest of Operation Closet Overload to be completed. I still need a way to organize and display all those clothes, shoes, handbags etc...
$55 later (including paint and supplies) I have a beautiful piece of furniture I get to call my Dressing Table. Stay tuned for the next project. One day my dressing room will be exactly the closet of any girl's dreams...

2 comments:

  1. I love the blog. Great pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are one talented girl! I love the dressing table. And all your flowers are beautiful! And by the way, the tiger lillies from your parents house came from my house and to me from my sister!!!!!! Yikes!

    I love your blog. It is now in my "favorite places".

    xo

    ReplyDelete